KEMH on call consultants to provide advice to GPs
Women and Newborn Health Service (WNHS) at King Edward Memorial Hospital (KEMH) advise GPs that calls for advice regarding urgent referrals, gynaecological or obstetric issues during business hours (Monday to Friday) will be directed to the relevant On Call Consultant. After hours requests for advice will be directed to the On Call Registrar.
Ring the switchboard on (08) 6458 2222 and ask to speak with the On Call team, and your call will be directed to the Consultant first where possible:
- For obstetric related issues at >20 weeks’ gestation, ask for the On Call Obstetrician
- For gynaecological issues and obstetric issues <20 weeks’ gestation ask for the On Call Gynaecologist.
- For maternal fetal medicine concerns ask for the On Call Maternal Fetal Medicine Consultant or Fellow.
- See KEMH Maternal Fetal Medicine Team at WNHS
- For gynaecologic cancer concerns, ask for the On Call Gynaecologic Oncology Consultant or Fellow KEMH Western Australian Gynaecologic Cancer Service
- For early pregnancy assessment concerns, ask for the Early Pregnancy Assessment Service (EPAS) Clinical Nurse Midwife.
If your query is about a referral process to a clinic at King Edward Memorial Hospital, please refer to the appropriate page on the KEMH website.
Abortion care information available online
Sexual and reproductive health issues are prevalent in Australian media, with the current Senate Committee Inquiry into the universal access to reproductive health care. WHNS KEMH would like to remind GPs there is information available on the WNHS KEMH public website for GPs addressing abortion care in Western Australia, including the booklet Abortion Care: information and legal obligations for medical practitioners
There is information about the service provided at WNHS KEMH for those who have complex needs, and how to make a referral. The WNHS KEMH website also includes comprehensive information for those seeking information about pregnancy choices, KEMH Pregnancy choices (including abortion), including consumer booklets and information about support services.
Information is also available for GPs on the Healthpathways WA.
Dr Sarah Smith
Hospital Liaison GP
King Edward Memorial Hospital